Tuesday, September 17, 2013

my experience with organizations


My experience with organizations starts with my first job, a lifeguard at Northwestern University. While I was working there was a manager switch, which was that the head of the lifeguards switched jobs into another program within Aquatics. This was a difficult change even though I was a new worker, since I had to learn a different management structure. I feel that even though I was a new employee, it was harder for me to get used to working at a new setting and learning a different supervisor and their management methods. The structure of the organization was there were over 20 lifeguards, which are under 3 “head guards” and the head guards are underneath the true Aquatic Manager, which was the where the change occurred.  This structure isn’t very complex, but since there was a change in the upper level manager, it pushed the employees (lifeguards) to really work together to learn the new management structure. I feel that although my organizational change wasn’t as important since I was a lifeguard, but it meant I had to learn other ways of providing care and the nuances of the new manager.

Just like most other high school students I wasn’t set on going to one school and sent out many applications to see which school I would fit into. My final choices came down to U of Michigan, UIUC, SMU and Miami University (Ohio). This in fact is a transaction cost because I had to choose one of the schools at the cost of declining the other schools. I feel this transaction cost is very familiar to college students because a student might not get into the major he/she wanted to and instead of going into general studies they might go to a different school where the student was accepted into the major of their choosing. This is exactly what happened to me at the University of Michigan because I wanted to go into their business school, however I was accepted into DGS, which helped me to decide to go to Miami Ohio because I was admitted to their business school. However, after one semester at Miami University, I decided that I wanted to switch to Economics, which was out of their business school; causing me to again decide that I should transfer to UIUC because of the improvement in the ranking of Economics. Once again this is definitely a transaction costs because I chose to give up my friends and my business school spot in order to go to UIUC, where I am an Economics major.  This example of a transaction cost is very relevant because I had to make a very big decision that impacted my not only my academic and social experiences, but tuition costs, adapting to a new environment and time of travel to school. My transaction costs might be different than other students, but I feel like every student had to make a decision which school to go to, major decision, social expectations (greek life) and the tuition costs. 

1 comment:

  1. I thought it interesting that you completely switched gears from paragraph one to paragraph two. I was expecting more about what sort of adjustments you had to make as a lifeguard, but then the subject matter changed.

    There are definitely transaction costs in switching Universities and coming in as a transfer student. I can identify with that. If you already knew some people at Illinois before you transferred, it probably made it easier. It is still not simple.

    One other point here is that which school to attend does depend on goodness of fit. It is not simply a matter of the school's reputation

    ReplyDelete