Sunday, September 8, 2013

I am in Prof Arvan econ 490 class and am using the alias to hide my identity

I was born on June 17, 1940 in New Haven, Connecticut. My father was a chemist on the Yale faculty, my mother a housewife. They had met ten years earlier at a departmental picnic when my mother had been a chemistry graduate student at Yale. My brother, Carl, was two years older. My father, who was born in Sweden in 1898, had come to the United States on a fellowship to obtain a Ph.D. at the University of Pennsylvania. When his thesis adviser received an appointment at Yale in 1928, my father followed, and continued up the career path as instructor, assistant professor, and associate professor. His own roots were partly in Dalarna, which was the ancestral home of his mother's family, and partly in Stockholm, which was his father's home. My Swedish grandmother was the daughter of a dairy farmer who lived near Hedemora. My Swedish grandfather worked as a clerk for the Swedish railways in the Stockholm station. His avocation was painting, which absorbed more of his psychic energy than his career. At least some of the murals in the Stockholm station are a remnant of his handiwork. Beyond this my knowledge of my Swedish heritage is not expansive. Partly this reflects my father's move to America in an age when travel was both time-consuming and expensive and therefore I lack first-hand knowledge. But it also reflects his taciturnity and also his scorn for history in all forms, even at the family level. He considered himself to be beyond all else a scientist.

citation: http://ideas.repec.org/p/ris/nobelp/2001_003.html

1 comment:

  1. You seem to have named your blog "about me," and the title of the first post you have "I am in Prof Arvan econ 490..." That is not right.

    Your blog name should be "George Akerlof Econ 490 fall 2013." The post title should be "about me." And then the blog description should be about being in my class.

    I don't understand these errors. If you watch the tutorial videos on setting up the blog, the instructions are straightforward.

    It also appears that you simply lifted the entire paragraph from the source. And what you've selected doesn't speak at all to the economics for which Akerlof won the Nobel Prize. In this class we are more concerned with Akerlof's economics than with his personal narrative.

    ReplyDelete